Sunday, January 10, 2010

2009 in review

So I have kinda sucked it up at blogging at all this year. In fact, blogging for me has been non-existent. So... one of my many new year's resolutions is to try to at least blog once a month to keep a chronicle of what is going on in my life. First thing is first, though, I must recap 2009. It started great. In February, I finally made a sincere decision that I would FINALLY start grad school. By May, I was deep into the process of filling out admissions information and by August I was fully enrolled into a Administration/Educational Leadership Co-hort group that would meet in Columbia (about 20 minutes south of Spring Hill). Awesome. In May, I was really sad to see my class of 5th graders leave as well. (I really learned I was sad to see them go, when I met my new group)... haha It is like a box of chocolates at any school with students, you just never know what you are going to get! This summer I spent relaxing. How wonderful to not have to have a job during the summer. I spent lazy days looking up new recipes, working on my wedding scrapbook, and just simply enjoying the quiet time that I had.
In July, Jim and I were very lucky to find some time to go visit Wilkes (my step-grandfather) in sunny Florida. He lives in The Villages, which if you have never been, is a millionaires retirement community. I have never seen so many golf-carts in my life!! It was a good relaxing vacation for Jim, but for at least 2 out of 4 days, I felt like I was at work going through my grandmothers things trying to decide what to keep. She was a phoenominal chef and I have now aquired 40 of her cookbooks as well as a a huge filing cabinet full of recipes. Wilkes was a bit disappointed at this. My grandmother probably has close to 1,000 cookbooks and I took 40. He felt that I should have taken WAY more. However, Jim and I just don't have the room. I took every Nashville cookbook she had knowing that I would want them at some time in my life. I also went through all of her "costume" jewelry. This took hours. I did get some pretty quality 80's things for random 80's parties!! Anyways, it was a nice week away from home and as usual it was wonderful to see my grandfather. I wish I could just channel his brain because he is so brilliant.
As August approached, I started to dread going back to school. When we did finally go back to school, I found myself in a true panic. We had lots of new changes for the school year and that combined with the fact that I am super anal threw me for a loop. Then came grad school. For the first semester, it was not bad at all. However, Jim and I were soon hit with something that neither of us were expecting. He had gone to the doctor for a lesion on his tongue. Soon, we came to find out that this sore was for sure the unthinkable, cancer. Our next step was to have the tumor removed through sugery. This happened on September 21. We spent a week in the hospital as he healed from the surgery. When we did finally leave Vandy on the following Saturday, we were so excited to be done with this chapter, or at least we hoped. Now we just had to wait for the labs to come back about his lymph nodes.
In October, a new visit to the doctor revealed that only one lymph node had been invaded with cancer. Great news! However, the doctor wanted to make sure that everything was gone and so began the 6 week (more like 10 week) process of radiation and chemo. Radiation once a day, five days a week. Chemo once per week. I will never be able to describe fully the months that followed. I can just say that I have a new respect for any cancer patient who is going through this process. He finished his radiation/chemo on December 8 and we were so excited! Little did we know that healing was going to be a much longer process than expected. He is finally feeling better to help ring in the new year!
During the year of 2009, I have learned many things. I have learned that there are more important things in life than a house, car, job, or new clothes. I have learned that being patient and calm is very important. I have also learned that I love my husband more than anything in this world and I could not ask for anyone better. I certainly am a planner but I never planned on the events that transpired over the months of 2009. I feel very blessed to have such wonderful family and to be so close to my brother and his wife. These relationships have proved to be very important to Jim and I as we have gone through this difficult year. All of this revealed, I am SO happy to put this year behind me and to start a new chapter in my life!

No comments: