Saturday, January 23, 2010

The ramblings of my week...

So being the un-athletic person I am, I never once thought that I would pay any kind of money to do a 5k or any kind of walk/run. Due to my very unhealthy habits from last semester (because of stress-go back to my year in review, if you want a full explanation), my doctor has told me to diet and exercise more. So far, so good. My sister-in-law even convinced me to walk in a 5k. (I don't run very well!) I asked her to figure out what her favorite 5k was and then we would go from there. She decided that the Nashville Zoo Run Run was her favorite because of getting to see all the animals. So we signed up! (Another New Year's resoluton!)

Fast forward to this week. It was a 4 day week, which is always fabulous for a teacher because it means that we just had a 3 day weekend! Although I must say that this 4 day week was a very stressful one. I had to leave right after school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday so that I could go to a doctors appointment, pick up stuff for zoo run run/pick up dog from groomer, and go to grad class. Due to the leaving right on time every day, I didn't have a lot of after school time to do a good job planning for next week. I tried to cram it all into the school days.... Friday I did all these fun science projects around my room and so as you can imagine, it was a very hectic day.* Somehow, I managed to get my basic plans down and get all my copies to the aids. (In all the chaos of Friday, I must say that I was EXTREMELY pleased to watch the IT guy bring a SMART board to my room!! I did a happy dance!) Once I left school Friday, I felt good enough to come in Monday morning ready to roll. Grad class was interesting due to the fact that some one high up in my county has joined my class to get their license renewed... (HELLO SENSOR!)

* You know you are an elementary science teacher when you walk around with green food coloring all over your hands because you have a mad a "mystery slime" that has properties of a solid and a liquid....

Once I left class, I called O'Charley's togo to place an order for Jim and my dinner. Jim had requested a shrimp appetizer and broccoli cheese side because he can only eat certain things right now. I got a salad. Needless to say it was a pretty random order. The lady on the phone told me that it would take 20 minutes and then it would be ready. Well, 5 minutes later I get there and just decide to sit and wait. Almost immediately someone comes out with a bag and I mention that I was super early. She told me that it was ready any ways! (I thought, well it was basically just a salad) So I pay the 29 dollars (which I feel like might be too much) and drive on home. At this point it was 7:45 and Jim has to leave work by about 8:45-9:00. I get home and unload the bag only to realize that I have gotten the completely wrong thing. AWESOME! I call them to complain and they ask if I would mind greatly to come back and I said sure.... Why not? My day has been crazy all day any ways. I got back to the store and they refund my 10 dollars and get me my correct order. Personally, I think I should have gotten at least a free appitizer just for having to come back. No such luck. I basically passed out once I ate dinner and said goodbye to Jim. I did have to get up at 6 the next day for a continuation of grad class.

I won't bore you with the details of my grad class but I will tell you that I learned a lot from that lady from the central office!! I had to leave grad class early to get to Nashville in time to pick up Melinda and get to the Zoo. At the zoo, we put on our numbers and I started to feel a little athletic... (or at least I looked it!) We decided to stand in the back because we definitely didn't want to run with the crazy, hardcore people! As we were waiting to start, I saw a former student of mine. Always a pleasure to run in to them in the real world. At least in 5th grade, they do understand that I don't live at school and that I do have a life outside of school. Soon enough the race started and I was off like Forrest Gump to start my first 5k. Except it was more like "Walk, Kate, WALK!" haha. This was a really exciting 5k and I would recommend it to anyone. Being my first, I don't have a lot of experience but getting to stop to look at the animals and walk around the parts of the zoo that are not open to the public was COOL! I am so happy to say that I completed the 3.1 miles in a little less than an hour. I don't have an exact time yet but I feel like that is pretty awesome! So Melinda and I have decided we will do a couple each year. We will make the Zoo Run Run annual as well as some others. The next definite event will be the Relay for Life in June. I always walk wayyy more than 5k at that. This year's will be a completely new experience for me because cancer has really affected my family in the past year. When I get my fundraising site, I will post it here. :) I guess that is all I have to say for this week. I am now going to enjoy the rest of my week end!

No comments: