Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Tennessee Education Department,

I understand your want for higher level thinking skills in our schools and I can truly appreciate that as a teacher. However, as I was looking through my math standards tonight I felt there were some things that could definitely be changed. They are as below:
* Can't we just have one list that says what is assessed? Instead of three different lists that are all assessed (aka grade level expectations, checks for understanding, state performance indicators).
* Could you make the math standards a little more specific? I need to know if my kids are going to have to convert meters to centimeters and pounds to ounces. I don't however have enough information to know what will be asked.
* Could we make the tests less like a Halloween trick? Why are we trying to trick them with extra information and extra steps?
I know I am not the most important teacher in Tennessee, however I feel that these changes would make a big difference in students learning what they are supposed to learn.

Thanks a lot!

Kate

No comments: